It’s the holidays, and I like to find recipes that are less-sweet and slightly more diabetic friendly, especially sweet recipes.1
I came across this one a year ago, and it went over well, so enjoy…
What you need
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (I’ve also found brown coconut sugar to work as well)
- 1/2 cup brewed espresso
- 1 Eggland’s Best Egg
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped slivered almonds, toasted
- The glaze: - 1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
How to make it
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar and espresso until blended.
- Beat in egg.
- Combine flour and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in chopped almonds.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, water and extract until smooth; spread over warm bars.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
Makes: 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bar equals 68 calories,
I’m a type 2 insulin-dependent diabetic remember? ↩