This is a nice simple one-pan dinner idea that you can make quickly and enjoy. For this recipe, use some leftover chicken in the fridge (or pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store on your way home) and cook it up with some potatoes, chorizo, roasted green chiles (or sweet bell peppers, your choice) and you can have dinner on the table in less than an hour.
What you need
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 pound Mexican chorizo, squeezed from casing and crumbled
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken, chopped into ½-inch cubes
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and sliced into ½-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped roasted green chiles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 green onions, chopped
How to Make it
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chorizo and chicken, and cook until the chicken is almost warmed through, about 4 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the mixture from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining butter over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes, cover and cook without stirring until browned and beginning to crisp around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chiles, stirring them into the potatoes, then re-cover and cook until the potatoes are well browned, about 4 minutes longer.
- Stir the chicken and chorizo mixture into the skillet, then drizzle over the cream, paprika, and oregano.
- Stir to combine, scraping up any crusty bits from the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat, season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with chopped green onions and serve.