This barley and quinoa power salad is tasty and works as a nice lunch on the go, or as a side with other food.
What you need
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium canned, or homemade
- 1 cup barley
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 Red pepper, sliced 1 Yellow pepper, sliced
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- Dressing:- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
How to Make it
- Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the barley, oil, and salt.
- Bring back to a boil, adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes more.
- Drain excess liquid, if needed. Cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk the lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large serving bowl.
- Gradually whisk in the oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream, to make a smooth dressing.
- Add the barley and the remaining salad ingredients and toss to coat with the dressing.