Ever have a graving for a soup no one else has had? This is probably that soup..
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely diced 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bottle pale ale
- 2 cups shredded sharp yellow Cheddar
- 1 cup shredded gruyere
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Garlic Butter Crostini, for serving, recipe follows
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or large saucepot over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, garlic, onions, mustard powder, cayenne and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sweat the vegetables until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the stock, mustard and Worcestershire and simmer until the veggies are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the ale, simmer, about 5 minutes, and then puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add the Cheddar, gruyere and half-and-half and stir until melted through and smooth.
- Adjust the seasoning and top with the Garlic Butter Crostini.
Garlic Butter Crostini:
- 1/2 baguette, sliced into 12 thin slices on the diagonal
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat.
- Brush the baguette slices on both sides with the butter and sprinkle with salt.
- Grill the slices on both sides until grill marks form, about 3 minutes per side.
- Rub the slices with the garlic.