- 1/2 pound milk chocolate
- 2 cups salted almonds
- 2 cups butter or margarine
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cut chocolate fine; melt in double boiler over lukewarm water (115 degrees F). Stir occasionally. Slice 1 cup of the almonds in halves lengthwise; coarsely chop remaining nuts.
- Melt butter or margarine in heavy frying pan; add sugar, the almond halves, corn syrup and water; stir until sugar is blended and no undissolved sugar adheres to sides of pan.
- Cook very slowly until small amount in cold water separates into hard but not brittle threads (290 degrees F). Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Add vanilla extract. Pour to 1/4-inch thickness into a 10 x 15-inch buttered pan or individual molds.
- When cool, spread melted chocolate evenly over the top. Sprinkle with remaining chopped almonds. When hard, break into pieces; store in a tightly covered container between wax paper layers.
- Makes about 3 pounds candy.