Shepherd’s pie is one of the all-time favorite ‘comfort’ foods. On a cold winter’s night, nothing is as welcome as a big plate of well made shepherd’s pie, with some crusty bread.
Preperation Time: 10 min
Total Time: 90 min
Makes: 4 servings.
- 500g Leaned Beef Mince
- 1 white Onion – diced
- 1 red Onion – diced
- 1 Carrot – diced
- Portobello Mushroom, 1/2 large diced
- Worcester Sauce – few dashes are needed
- Ketchup – 1 table spoon
- Tabasco sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Stock Cube x 2 Beef in 1 pint hot water
- Salt & Pepper
- Mash Potato for topping
- Fry off the onions in a little sunflower oil until transparent – probably around 8 minutes on a medium gas flame. Once cooked put to one side.
- Fry the mince
- Once all the mince is cooked put into a shallow saucepan, add the diced mushrooms & carrots plus all the juices from the pan you used for the frying.
- Add 2 beef stock cubes. Cover and leave to simmer.
- Check about 45 minutes into the cooking, and if it has cooked, take it off the heat. Add a little flour fixed in water to the mixture to make sure the shepherd’s pie has a thick sauce.
- Put into your ovenproof dish. Add mash potatoes to top and use a fork to make swirly patterns.
- Place dish in a preheated oven to 220 degrees for 45 minutes – check the pie is piping hot before serving.